Dr. Simon SHEN [沈旭暉]
DPhil (Politics and International Relations), University of Oxford (2006)
MA (Political Science), Yale University (2000)
BA (Political Science and History), Yale University (2000)
Chinese Nationalism, External Relations of Hong Kong, Portal Diplomacy, Internet and Society
Founding Director, Glocal Learning Offices (GLOs) (2018-2021)
Associate Professor / Director of Global Studies Programme / Director of Master of Global Political Economy Programme, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2012-2018)
Associate Professor / External Relations Coordinator, Faculty of Social Science, The Hong Kong Institute of Education (Currently Education University of Hong Kong) (2009-2012)
Research Assistant Professor, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2006-2009)
Visiting Scholar / Fellow / Professors of the following institutes: Brookings Institution, East-West Center, Ryokyo University, University of Warwick, National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University of Singapore, Academic Sinica, Tsinghua University, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Hong Kong in the World: Implications to Geopolitics and Competitiveness. London: Imperial College Press, 2016.
- Deconstructing the Chinese Dream [解構中國夢] (Translated and Updated version of Redefining Nationalism in Modern China: Sino-American Relations and the Emergence of Chinese Public Opinions in the 21st Century, with a new chapter added on the Chinese Dream). Hong Kong: The Chinese University of Hong Kong Press, 2015.
- Conflict and Cooperation in Sino-US Relations: Change & Continuity, Causes & Cures (ed. With Jean-Marc Blanchard). New York: Routledge, 2015.
- China and the World (Vol. I – VIII) (eds. With Shaun Breslin and Carla Freeman). London: Sage, 2014.
- Multi-dimensional Diplomacy of Contemporary China (ed. With Jean-Marc Blanchard). New York: Rowman & Littlefield (Lexington Books), 2010.
- Online Chinese Nationalism and China’s Bilateral Relations (ed. With Shaun Breslin). New York: Rowman & Littlefield (Lexington Books), 2010.
- Redefining Nationalism in Modern China: Sino-American Relations and the Emergence of Chinese Public Opinions in the 21st Century. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- Chinese Response to Anti-terrorism (ed.) New York: Nova Science Publishing, 2007.
- Non-state Actors and Foreign Affairs of the Greater China Region [非國家個體與大中華地區的整合] (ed. with Joseph Cheng). Hong Kong: City University Contemporary Chinese Studies Programme, 2007.
- “Changing Chinese Policy on Hong Kong since the Transfer of Sovereignty in 1997,” Mainland China Studies, No.64, June 2021 (with Pakchai D Wicaksono). [in Chinese]
- “Reconstructing the Silent Player: The British Use of the ‘Soviet Card’ in Handling the 1967 Riots in Hong Kong and in the Aftermath, East Asia, 2020.
- “China’s One Belt One Road: China’s Marshall Plan?” Palgrave Communications, 2018.
- “Las ambiciones de China en Asia Central: ¿el nuevo Gran Juego?” (China’s Geopolitical Ambition in Central: The New Chess Game?), Spanish Quarterly, 2016.
- “From Zero-sum Game to Positive-sum Game: Why Beijing Tolerates Pacific Island States’ Recognition of Taipei”, Journal of Contemporary China, 2015.
- “Hong Kong – Middle East Relations”, Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, 2015.
- “The Cultural Side-effects of the Sino-Soviet Split: The Influence of Albanian Movies in China in the 1960s”, Modern China Studies (as first author with Cho-kiu Li), No.1 2015, P.212-228.
- “Local Governments in Japan and their Roles in Sino-Japanese Relations”, East Asia, April 2014, P.49-65.
- “Potential Danger in Domestic Debate Constructing a Cuban Shangri-la: Online Chinese Perceptions of Cuba and Implications for China and the World”, China: An International Journal, April 2014, P.66-86.
- “Integration of Chinese and South Asians: Education of South Asian Ethnic Minorities in Hong Kong as a Case Study”. Policy Research Center Journal, Vol.2, No.1, January 2013, P.186-198.
- “Ugandan Youths’ Perception of Sino-Ugandan Relations,” Asian Perspective (as first author, with Ian Taylor), Vol.36, No.4, December 2012, P.693-723.
- “The Hidden Face of Comradeship: Popular Chinese Consensus on the DPRK and its Implications for Beijing’s Policy”, Journal of Contemporary China, Vol. 21(75), May 2012, P.427-443.
- “Future Comparative Competitiveness under the Same Chinese Roof: A Survey of Self-evaluation from Local and Mainland Students in Hong Kong”, Chinese Education and Society, Vol.45, No.2, March-April 2012, P.38-59.
- “Online Chinese Perceptions of Latin America: How They Differ from the Official View”, China Quarterly, No.209, March 2012, P.157-177.
- “The Return of the US to Asia-Pacific: Analyzing Obama’s Grand Strategy from the Offensive Realist Perspective in China”. Strategic Review, July-September 2012.
- “'Obamania' in China and its Yielding to Nationalism – Quantitative Response from Elitist Chinese Students in Beijing Towards the 2008 US Election and Structural Analysis”, China Review, Vol. 11, No. 2, Fall 2011, P.183-210.
- “The Role of Hong Kong Enterprises in Sino-Latin American Relations: Lee Ka-shing’s Port Diplomacy as an Example”, Estudios de Asia y Africa (in Spanish). Translated version in Chinese published as a conference article in Conferencia Internacional “El Futuro de las Relaciones entre Asia y America Latin” Colecciion de Ponencias (Taiwan Chilee Institute), April 2011.
- “Have Nuclear Weapons Made the DPRK a Rough State? – Studying the Korean Peninsula Crisis from the Waltzian Theory”, Journal of Comparative Asian Development, Vol. 10, Issue 2, 2011.
- “Exploring the Neglected Constraints on Chindia: Analyzing the Online Chinese Perception of India and its Interaction with China’s Indian Policy”, China Quarterly, No.207, September 2011, P.541-560.
- “Qualitative Energy Diplomacy in Central Asia: A Comparative Analysis of the Policies of the US, Russia and China”, Brookings Institution CNAPS Working Paper, May 2011. [Authorized to update from: “Great Power Politics: Ideological Energy Diplomacy in Central Asia in the 21st Century and India’s Absence from the Scene,” China and Eurasia Forum Quarterly, 2010.]
- “Upward Mobility of Hong Kong Youths: A Quantitative Analysis” (with Gary Wong), Hong Kong Journal of Social Science [香港社會科學學報], December 2011. [in Chinese]
- “Does Proximity Encourage Tolerance and Less State-centrism? – Dismissing Monolithic Chinese Youth Perception of Terrorism and Security in a Comparative Regional Study”, Terrorism and Political Violence (as first author, with Liu Peng), 2010.
- "Re-branding without Re-developing: Constraints of Hong Kong’s ‘Asia’s World City’ Brand (1997-2007) ", Pacific Review, April 2010.
- “Online Chinese Nationalism”, Chatham House Asia Programme Paper: ASP PP 2010/03 (with Shaun Breslin), 2010. [Authorized to be revised from "When China Plugged In: Structural Origins of Online Chinese Nationalism" (with Shaun Breslin), in Online Chinese Nationalism and China’s Bilateral Relations (eds. Simon Shen and Shaun Breslin), New York: Rowman & Littlefield (Lexington Books), 2010.]
- “Failure of the Saffron Revolution and Aftermath: Revisiting the Transitologist Assumption,” Journal of Comparative Asian Development (with Chi-yuen Chan), 2010. [Authorized revised version included as a chapter: "Myanmar's Troubled Democratization Process" (with Chan Chi-yuen), in Public Governance and the Limits of Electoral Democracy (eds. Ho Lok-sang and Brian Bridges), London: Edward Elgar, 2010.]
- “Analyzing ETIM from the Quintuple Ecological System of Non-state Actors”, 21st Century [二十一世紀], 2010. [in Chinese]
- “The Bottom-level Alienation Phenomenon Arising from the Town-level Direct Election in China," Journal of Chinese Political Studies, 2010. [Authorized to be updated and translated from "The Bottom-level Alienation Phenomenon Arising from the Town-level Direct Election in China," in Yielding Power to Peasants: Responding to Direct Election [給農民讓權﹕直選的回聲] (ed. Liu Yawei), Xi'an: Northwest University Publishing, 2002, P.163-176.]
- “Online Perception versus Official Projection: Mainland Chinese Response toward the Prelude and Early Years of President Ma Ying-jeou (2007-2009)”, Issues and Studies, 45, No. 4 (December 2009), P.35-70.
- “A Constructed Unreality on China's Re-entry into Africa: The Chinese Online Community Perception of Africa (2006-2008)”, The Journal of Modern African Studies, Vol.47, No.3, September 2009, P.425-448.
- “Dual Identity in Online Reaction to the Beijing Olympics: The Hong Kong Golden Forum as a Case-study”, Asian Politics & Policy, Vol.1, No.2, April/June 2009, P.333-337.
- “Misinformation or Misinterpretation? Chinese University Students' Perception of Anti-terrorism”, Asian Survey (as first author, with Liu Peng), Vol.49, No.3, May/June 2009, P.553-573.
- “Alternative Online Chinese Nationalism: Response to the Anti-Japanese Campaign in China on Hong Kong's Internet,” Intercultural Communication Studies, Vol.XVII:3, 2008, P.172-186. [Translated Chinese version authorized to publish in the Japanese journal Contemporary China Study, No.28, March 2011, P.122-133]
- Decline of Hong Kong as a Showcase for Taiwan: The Rise and Fall of Non-State Actors in Hong Kong–Taiwan Relations" (with Jackie Fung), Hong Kong Journal of Social Science [香港社會科學學報] , Vol.34, Spring 2008, P.113-130. [Authorized to revise and translate into English as “Affect of Regime Changes on Non-State Actors in Taiwan-Hong Kong Relations (1997-2010): Publicly and Privately Affiliated Think Tanks as Cases-studies”, Asian Politics & Policy, Vol.2, Issue 4, December 2010.] [in Chinese]
- “Borrowing the Hong Kong Identity for Chinese Diplomacy: Implications of Margaret Chan's World Health Organization Campaign,” Pacific Affairs, Vol.81, No.3, Fall 2008, P.361-382.
- “Reshaping Nationalism: Chinese Intellectual Response towards Sino-American and Sino-Japanese Relations in the 21st Century” (as first author, with Cheung Mong), Pacific Review, Vol.20, No.3, September 2007, P.475-497.
- “The Chinese Intellectual Response to the US War on Terror (2001-2003),” Journal of Chinese Political Science, Vol.12, No.3, December 2007, P.237-280.
- “Holding Nationalist Flags against Red Flags – Anti-American Icons in Contemporary China and their Reconstruction by the Public (1999-2003),” East Asia: An International Quarterly, Vol.24, No.3, September 2007, P.229-250.
- “Hong Kong-US Relations and the Response to Counter-terrorism,” The Journal of Comparative Asian Development, Vol.6, No.2, Fall 2007, P.311-336.
- “The Emergence of Youth Organizations: Another Means of Social Participation” (with Leo Sham), Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.10, No.2, July 2007, P.229-250.
- “Sino-US Green Diplomacy: Studying the Princeton Environmental Report from the Chinese Perspective” (with Hongyuan Yu), Politika Annual Journal, 2007, P.27-32.
- “Evolution of Chinese Nationalism from the Three People's Principles to Peaceful Rise: The Iraqi War as a Case-study,” Sunology Research of National Dr Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall [孫學研究] (Taipei), Vol.2, May 2007, P.105-159. [in Chinese]
- “From Strategic Alliance to Ideology-based Organization: A Study on the Developmental Path and Dynamism of Shanghai Cooperation Organization” (with Liu Peng), Xi'an Jiaotong University Journal (Social Science Edition) [西安交通大學學報(社會科學版)], Vol.27, No.2, March 2007, P.67-76. [in Chinese]
- “From Aid Diplomacy to Strategic Diplomacy: Transformation and Upgrade of Japan's Central Asian Foreign Policy” (with Liu Peng), Journal of Academy of Chinese Social Science Japanese Studies Center [日本學刊], Vol.98, No.2, April 2007, P.34-46.
- “SARS Diplomacy of China and Taiwan,” Asian Perspective, Vol.28, No.1, March 2004, P.45-66.
- “Nationalism or Nationalist Foreign Policy? Contemporary Chinese Nationalism and its Role in Shaping the Chinese Foreign Policy in Response to the Belgrade Embassy Bombing,” Politics, Vol.24, No.2, April 2004, P.122-130.
- “Inventing the Romantic Kingdom in its Initial Stages: The Resurrection and Legitimization of the Shu Han Kingdom Before the Romance of the Three Kingdoms,” Journal of East Asian History, No.25/26, June/December 2003, P.25-42.
- “China and the World: From the Chinese Dream to the Chinese World Order”, in Routledge Handbook on the Chinese Communist Party, Ed. Willy Lam. New York: Routledge, 2020.
- “The Alien Next Door: Media Images in China and India”, in Kanti Baipai etal, Routledge Handbook of China-India Relations, London: Routledge, 2020 (with Debasish Roy Chowdhury).
- “External Relations of Hong Kong under the CY Leung Administration”, in CY Leung Administration: A Critical Review, Ed. Joseph Cheng, City University Press (with Wilson Chan), 2020.
- “Hong Kong External Relations at 20th Anniversary of SARG”, in HKSARG 20 Years, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, CUHK, 2017. (With Wilson Chan) [in Chinese]
- “Another Angle on a New Intimacy: How the Chinese Perceive Africa and Latin America”, in Handbook on China and Developing Countries (ed. Carla Freeman), Edward Elgar, June 2015, P.109-132.
- “Taking the Temperature of China-US Conflict and Cooperation”, in Conflict and Cooperation in Sino-US Relations: Change & Continuity, Causes & Cures (Eds. Jean-Marc Blanchard and Simon Shen), Routledge, 2015 (with Jean-Marc Blanchard).
- “From the EP-3 Incident to the USS Kitty Hawk-Song Class Submarine Encounter: The Evolution of Sino-US Crisis Management Communication Mechanism”, in Jean-Marc Blanchard and Simon Shen Eds, Sino-US Relations, Routledge, 2015 (as first author with Ryan Kaminski). [Authorized to update from an earlier version of Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies’ occasional paper in 2011/12]
- “Anti-terrorism and China’s Foreign Policy”, in China and Global Politics (La Chine aujourd’hui: dynamiques domestiques et internationals) (ed. Paul Andre), France: les presses du septentrion, May 2014, Chapter 6.
- “The Diplomatic Role of Regional Governments in China in the Era of Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang”, in After the Miracle (ed. Law Kam-yee), City University Press, 2014. [in Chinese]
- “Hong Kong’s Sub-Sovereign Status and its External Relations”, in Aspects of Sovereignty: Sino-Swedish Reflections (Ed. Sevastik, P), Stockholm: Raoul Wallenberfg Institute, 2013, P.101-119.
- “Media and Internet in China”, in Handbook of China’s Governance and Domestic Politics. New York: Routledge, 2013 (with Gary Tang).
- “Achievements and Limitations in the Grey Area: External Relations of Hong Kong in the Tsang Administration”, in Hong Kong under Tsang Administration (Ed. Joseph Cheng, City University of Hong Kong Press), 2013.
- “Contemporary Chinese Foreign Policy”, in Handbook of Contemporary China (eds. Alvin So and William Tay), Singapore: World Scientific, 2011, pp.173-204.
- "The SARS Crisis and Crisis Management in Hong Kong", in Crisis Management of China in the SARS Crisis (eds. Eric Stern et al), New York: Lexington Books, 2011. [Authorized updated and translated version from: "Crisis Management System of Hong Kong," in Crisis Management Research Report in Urban China 2005 [中國城市危機管理研究報告2005] (eds. Beijing Municipal Education Committee et al), Beijing: Tongxin Publishing, 2005, P.214-233.]
- “Contemporary Chinese Nationalism and France: Double-edge Sword of Diplomacy?” History and Polity (in French), 2010. [Authorized to be translated from "Contemporary Chinese Nationalism: Double-edge Sword of Chinese Diplomacy?", in People’s Republic of China: Sixty Years in Review [神州六十年] (eds. Wong Yiu-chung and Chan Ho-yung), Hong Kong: Hong Kong Eastern Culture Institute, 2009.]
- “Territorial Fragility and the Future of Tibet: Sub-sovereignty, Problems and Theoretical Solutions”, in Managing Fragile Regions: Methods and Application (eds. Rongxing Guo and Carla Freeman), New York: Springer, 2010. [Authorized to be revised from “Could the Soviet–Ukrainian and Lateran Models Work in China? – New Geopolitical Concepts of Post-Westphalian Sovereignty for the Tibetan Question”, CUHK Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies Occasional Paper, 2010.]
- "Popular Participation: Internet, Civil Society and Diverse Publics", in Handbook of Chinese International Relations (ed. Shaun Breslin), London: Routledge, 2010.
- "Multidimensional Diplomacy and the Changing Nature of Chinese Foreign Policy", in China's Strategic Role in Asian-Pacific Region (ed. With Jean-Marc Blanchard). New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2010.
- "Online Chinese Nationalism(s): Comparisons and Findings " (with Shaun Breslin), in Online Chinese Nationalism and China’s Bilateral Relations (eds. Simon Shen and Shaun Breslin), New York: Rowman & Littlefield (Lexington Books), 2010.
- "Global Terrorism" (with Liu Peng), in Introducing Western International Relations Theories (eds. Wang Jianwei and Hua Shiping), Beijing: Renmin University Press, 2010. [in Chinese]
- “Studying the Chinese Integration into the Global System and its Bipolar Response: 9-11 as a Case-study,” in Globalization and Chineseness: Postcolonial Readings of Contemporary Culture [全球化與中國化﹕當代文化的後殖民解讀] (ed. Song Geng), Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong Press, 2006, P.279-290. [in Chinese]
- “The Camouflage of the Sino-American Clash of Civilizations in the Belgrade Embassy Bombing in 1999: From Rhetoric to Actual Clashes," in Challenging the Hypothesis of the Clash of Civilizations (eds. Lise Garon and El-Mostafa Chadli), Quebec: University of Laval, 2003, P.179-206. [In French]